IRG position “NLP for the Humanities”
Within the context of AIPHES, the Independent Research Group (IRG) leader position “NLP for the humanities” is currently held and filled out by Steffen Eger. The temporary name of the group headed by Dr. Eger is “Natural Language Learning Group” (NLLG).
Focus areas of NLLG are Deep Learning for Poetry Generation; Low-resource NLP; Semantic Change; and Cross-Lingual NLP. In the future, we also plan to work on meta-science (and possibly trend prediction).
Supervised PhD theses
- Wei Zhao 2018-2021. Towards human-level natural language generation.
Supervised Bachelor / Master theses
Within the IRG position, I am or have been supervising theses on the following topics:
- sentiment conditioned poetry generation
- multilingual probing for sentence embeddings
- unsupervised neural poetry translation
Currently open theses include (but not limited to):
- Deep Learning for Poetry Evaluation and Generation
- Re-Evaluation of Machine Translation using Soft Metrics
- Robustness of Deep Learning Models to Adversarial Attacks
- Deep Learning for Semantic Change Analysis
Current publications can be found here
- WS2019 (Seminar): Deep Learning & Digital Humanities
- SS2019: Deep Learning für Natural Language Processing
- Selected topics in Deep Learning for Natural Language Processing Royal Holloway, Invited Talk, 2019
- Controlling Style in Machine Generated Poetry. Plotting Poetry III, Nancy, 2019.