IRG position “NLP for the Humanities”
Within the context of AIPHES, the Independent Research Group (IRG) leader position “NLP for the humanities” is currently filled out by Steffen Eger. The name of the group headed by Dr. Eger is “Natural Language Learning Group” (NLLG).
Personal web page: steffeneger.github.io
Focus areas of NLLG are Evaluation metrics for Machine Translation and Summarization; Poetry (Generation); Semantic Change (Cross-temporal NLP); and Cross-Lingual NLP.
Supervised PhD theses
- Wei Zhao 2018-2021. Towards human-level natural language generation.
Supervised Bachelor / Master theses
Within the IRG position, I am or have been supervising theses on the following topics:
- sentiment conditioned poetry generation
- multilingual probing for sentence embeddings
- unsupervised neural poetry translation
Currently open theses include (but not limited to):
- Evaluation Metrics for Machine Translation and Summarization
- Deep Learning for Poetry Evaluation and Generation
- Re-Evaluation of Machine Translation using Soft Metrics
- Robustness of Deep Learning Models to Adversarial Attacks
- Deep Learning for Semantic Change Analysis
Current publications can be found here
- WS2020: FOLT
- WS2020 (Seminar): DLDH
- SS2020: DL4NLP
- SS2020: DASP (Softwareprojekt Datenanalyse für natürliche Sprache)
- SS2020 (Seminar): Meta-Science
- WS2019 (Seminar): Deep Learning & Digital Humanities
- SS2019: Deep Learning für Natural Language Processing
- Selected topics in Deep Learning for Natural Language Processing Royal Holloway, Invited Talk, 2019
- Controlling Style in Machine Generated Poetry. Plotting Poetry III, Nancy, 2019.