PRACTICE: Privacy-Preserving Computation In The Cloud
The traditional computing paradigm is experiencing a fundamental shift: organizations no longer completely control their own data, but instead hand it to external untrusted parties – cloud service providers – for processing and storage. There currently exist no satisfactory approaches to protect data during computation from cloud providers and from other users of the cloud. PRACTICE has therefore assembled key experts throughout Europe who will work towards providing privacy and confidentiality for computations in the cloud.
The mission of PRACTICE is to design cloud computing technologies that allow computations in the cloud thus enabling new business processes while keeping the used data secret. Unlike today – where insiders can access sensitive data – PRACTICE will prevent cloud providers and other unauthorized parties from obtaining secret or sensitive information.
PRACTICE will create a secure cloud framework that allows for the realization of advanced and practical cryptographic technologies providing sophisticated security and privacy guarantees for all parties in cloud-computing scenarios.
The main goals of the PRACTICE project are:
- eliminating the need for users to trust their cloud providers for data confidentiality and integrity;
- computation on encrypted data, which will prevent even insiders from disclosing secrets or disrupting the service;
- flexible architecture and tools that allow seamless migration from execution on unchanged clouds today towards new platforms while gradually adding levels of protection.
The PRACTICE consortium is well-positioned to achieve its objectives by bringing together a team of leading industrial and research companies, a research-oriented SME as well as well respected European universities. These 18 project partners from 11 different countries form a complete chain stretching from basic research and service design, via applied research, up to end-user oriented service providers. The PRACTICE partners are:
- Technikon Forschungs- und Planungsgesellschaft mbH, Austria
- SAP AG, Germany
- Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany
- Alexandra Instituttet A/S, Denmark
- Arcelik A.S., Turkey
- Bar Ilan University, Israel
- Cybernetica AS, Estonia
- Julius-Maximilians Universität Würzburg, Germany
- Intel GmbH, Germany
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
- Inesc Porto – Instituto de engenharia de sistemas e computadores do porto, Portugal
- Aarhus Universitet, Denmark
- Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, Netherlands
- University of Bristol, United Kingdom
- Distretto tecnologico aerospaziales S.C. A R.L., Italy
- Universita degli studi di Milano, Italy
- Partisia APS, Denmark
- Georg-August-Universität Göttingen Stiftung öffentlichen Rechts, Germany
For more information about PRACTICE visit the project homepage.