Centre for the Digital Foundation of Research in the Humanities, Social, and Educational Sciences
CEDIFOR (Centre for the Digital Foundation of Research in the Humanities, Social, and Educational Sciences) is a Digital Humanities Centre, established in 2014. We intend to contribute to bridging the gap between research in the Humanities and computer based methods, and help researchers to master the characteristic problems in this process. We provide methodological expertise for advising researchers from the Humanities, Social, and Educational Sciences on adopting computer based methods in their research. This concerns the planning and operational stage of projects as well as the long-term provision of result data.
CEDIFOR is built on the experiences, the expertise, and the infrastructure of the LOEWE Research Cluster “Digital Humanities—Integrated Preparation and Analysis of Text Based Corpora” (2011-2014). More information on the project can be found on its webpage.
The centre sees itself as an innovative, research based platform for researchers from all fields of the Humanities. It offers a series of novel services for multi-modal data and supports the processing of research topics beyond established paradigms. CEDIFOR aims to provide innovative research along three dimensions, as displayed and explained in the chart below.
- Prof. Dr. Iryna Gurevych, Principal Investigator
- Dr. Johannes Daxenberger
- Dr. Richard Eckart de Castilho
- Dr. Hatem Mousselly-Sergieh
- Pedro Santos
CEDIFOR is a joint undertaking of TU Darmstadt together with Goethe University Frankfurt (Prof. Dr. Jost Gippert, Prof. Dr. Alexander Mehler) and Deutsches Institut für Internationale Pädagogische Forschung DIPF (Prof. Dr. Marc Rittberger) in Frankfurt.
Various research topics from CEDIFOR have been addressed in the following course:
- Summer Term 2015: Text Analytics: Digital Humanities (Regular Seminar)
- Konstantin Wolf (supervised by Dr. Hatem Mousselly-Sergieh, Prof. Dr. Iryna Gurevych): Entity Linking Annotation System for Historical Articles, 2017
- Lasse Stelzer (supervised by Johannes Daxenberger, Prof. Dr. Iryna Gurevych) Enriching Translations of Cuneiform Documents by Linkification, 2016
- Darjush Siahdohoni (supervised by Johannes Daxenberger and Prof. Dr. Iryna Gurevych) A User Interface for Semantic Search on Translations of Cuneiform Documents, Technische Universität Darmstadt, 2016.
- Manuel Spari (supervised by Johannes Daxenberger and Prof. Dr. Iryna Gurevych) Automatic Text Classification for Recognizing Scientific Reasoning and Argumentation in German, Technische Universität Darmstadt, 2015.
- Patrick Lerner (supervised by Johannes Daxenberger, Lucie Flekova, Prof. Dr. Iryna Gurevych) Designing a User Interface for Data Analysis and Feature Engineering in Text Classification, Technische Universität Darmstadt, 2015.
CEDIFOR is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research.