Research data management courses for students and grad students / Forschungsdatenkurse für Studierende und Graduierte
Due to the enormous increase in the amount of digital data needed/used in research, as well as new possibilities for data networking and data analysis, research methodologies and culture worldwide is undergoing considerable changes. As a result, methods for dealing with large and heterogeneous data sets have been developed for several years. In addition infrastructures for the publication and the long-term availability of research data are in development. Due to the increasing frequency of publications of structured research data sets, the continual use of said data in other research projects and contexts is becoming increasingly important. Therefore the handling of data itself has become a major subject for scientific work.
The objective of the proposed project FOKUS is to develop subject-specific modular training courses in the area of research data management and archiving, to establish them permanently at the respective universities and thus to make offers to the Hessian universities for the subsequent use of the relevant training modules.
Cooperative, subject-specific, and reusable teaching material is developed and pilot courses are held and evaluated. New to this strategic approach is the combination of the conception of teaching content both for the graduate education as well as events for advanced students in master courses and Staatsexamensstudengängen.
Theses questions will be investigated in particular:
- Which structures are necessary or can be used in order to continuously improve the newly developed teaching content and to implement them at the universities in a sustainable manner?
- What is the added value of a strategically oriented training offer for the overarching high school framework concerning quality standards in research data management and archiving?
- How can teaching material that was developed for graduate education be used for students and vice versa?
- Prof. Dr. Iryna Gurevych, Principal Investigator
- Dr. Sebastian Harrach, Senior Researcher
- N.N. Professur für Fachdidaktik Chemie, Technische Universität Darmstadt
- Wolff-Wölk, Andrea, Philipps-Universität Marburg
- Frankenberger, Roland, Med. Zentrums für ZMK Marburg
- Krause, Evamaria, Philipps-Universität Marburg
- Lin-Klitzing, Susanne, Philipps-Universität Marburg
- Mölls, Sascha H., Philipps-Universität Marburg
- Wolf, Jürgen, Philipps-Universität Marburg
- Fey, Kerstin, Justus-Liebig-Universität Gießen
- Kraft, Philipp, Justus-Liebig-Universität Gießen
- Lambeck, Steven, Hochschule Fulda
- Held, Brigitte, Goethe-Universität Frankfurt
- Hediger, Vinzenz, Goethe-Universität Frankfurt
FOCUS is a joint research project within the framework of the BMBF funding program “Digital Change in Education, Science and Research” (funding area: research data) and it set up in accordance with the funding guidelines for the research of management of research data and its life cycle at universities and other research institutions.