Natural Language Processing and eLearning
- Lecture: Thursday 09:50-11:30, Room S202/C120
- Practice class: Thursday 11:40-13:20, Room S202/A313
The learning material is available from the Moodle eLeaning platform.
The required passcode will be distributed during the lecture.
Lecture and practice class will start on April 20 2017.
- Date/Time: July 21, 09:30 – 12:00
- Room: S101/A01
- Prof. Dr. Iryna Gurevych
- Dr. Johannes Daxenberger
- Yevgeniy Puzikov
We do not have fixed office hours. Please contact us by mail to schedule appointments. Regarding the lecture and the overall organization, please contact Johannes Daxenberger. Regarding the practice class, Yevgeniy Puzikov will kindly answer your questions.
Take this opportunity to ask what you did not understand. In addition to that, the Moodle forums are an excellent place to discuss about the lecture and the practice class. We will also join your discussions there!
This course addresses the foundations of natural language processing (NLP) and focuses on eLearning as an exemplary application domain.
- Foundations of language processing
- Basic NLP tools
- Lexical-semantic resources
- Text Classification
- Writing Assistance
- Reasoning and argumentation
- Argumentation quality
- Exercise generation
- Plagiarism detection
- Automatic grading
- Reading Assistance
- Text difficulty
- Text structuring
After attending this course, students are in a position to
- explain the foundations of NLP and eLearning,
- describe relevant tools and resources and relate them to practical application scenarios,
- implement and explicate language-related algorithms for eLearning systems,
- critically assess and design educational natural language processing applications,
- name open research questions in NLP.
Daniel Jurafsky, James H. Martin: Speech and Language Processing. An Introduction to Natural Language Processing, Computational Linguistics, and Speech Recognition. Second Edition. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall, 2009. ISBN: 978-0-13-187321-6. http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~martin/slp.html
Kai-Uwe Carstensen, Christian Ebert, Cornelia Endriss, Susanne Jekat, Ralf Klabunde: Computerlinguistik und Sprachtechnologie. Eine Einführung. 3. Auflage. Heidelberg: Spektrum, 2009. ISBN: 978-3-8274-20123-7. http://www.linguistics.rub.de/CLBuch/
For each topic, we will provide a selection of scientific publications in the lecture. Please ask our staff if you cannot find a specific publication or want to learn more on a certain topic.