Foundations of Language Technology
Course content is available at the Moodle Website.
Please note that the content of this website may be subject to change
- Prof. Dr. Iryna Gurevych
- Dr. Ute Blechschmidt-Trapp
- Nicolai Erbs
The course assumes familiarity with basic computing concepts, but will not assume any knowledge of the Python language or linguistics, which will be acquired during the course. These skills are helpful and will enhance our discussions. If you like to work with your own notebook, we kindly ask you to follow the installation instructions given at http://www.nltk.org/download.
If you plan to participate in this integrated course, please register here.
Please use TUCaN to register for the exam.
- Lecture (in German): Monday 9:50 – 11:20 in C120, Piloty
- Tutorial (in English): Monday 11:40 – 13:10 in S1 03 / 300a
- The final exam will be on February 28th 2011, 9:50-11:30, in Room S202/C110.
- Don't forget to register via TUCaN until December 31st!
The lecture offers an introduction into the perspectives, problems, methods and techniques of text technology. All examples and tutorials are based on the programming language Python.
- Natural language processing (NLP)
- Part-of-Speech Tagging
- Statistical analysis
- Machine Learning
- Categorization and classification
- Information Extraction
- Introduction to Python
- Data Structures
- Library NLTK
- Structured Programming
The course is based on the Python programming language together with an open source library called the Natural Language Toolkit (NLTK). NLTK allows explorative and problem-solving learning of theoretical concepts without the requirement of extensive programming knowledge.
- Steven Bird, Ewan Klein, Natural Language Processing with Python, ISBN:978-0596516499
- Dr. Ute Blechschmidt-Trapp, Nicolai Erbs: Thursday, 11:00-12:00, S2 / 02 / B113
What You Can Expect from Us
- interactive lecture with integrated tutorials
- problem based and explorative learning
- stimulating environment
- web page, moodle
What we expect from you
- active participation
If you like to have a jump start on NLTK, have a look at this video.