Unstructured Information Management (Project, WS 2013/14)
Project on the topic of generation of creative language for marketing
Catchy and memorable brand names and slogans are an important key to any successful business. However, the creation of brand names and marketing slogans is a challenging activity and a long process consisting of many iterations. One way to alleviate this process is to make use of NLP techniques in order to generate creative names and slogans automatically. Such automatically created suggestions inspire new ideas and help to move forward the naming process.
We will use the UIMA-based NLP framework DKPro and the LMF-based lexical resource UBY in various projects on the generation of creative language. In each project, a working prototype is going to be implemented.
- analysis of existing brand names and slogans
- brand name and slogan generation based on lexical resources in UBY
- transcreation of brand names / slogans (English – German)
- G. Özbal, D. Pighin and C. Strapparava. BRAINSUP: Brainstorming Support for Creative Sentence Generation. Proceedings of the 51st Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL-2013), Sofia, Bulgaria, August 2013.
- G. Özbal and C. Strapparava. A computational approach to automatize creative naming. In Proceedings of the 50th annual meeting of the Association of Computational Linguistics (ACL-2012), Jeju Island, Korea, July 2012.
- M. Guerini, C. Strapparava, and O. Stock. Ecological evaluation of persuasive messages using Google AdWords. In Proceedings of the 50th annual meeting of the Association of Computational Linguistics (ACL-2012), Jeju Island, Korea, July 2012.
- G. Özbal, C. Strapparava, and Marco Guerini. Brand Pitt: A corpus to explore the art of naming. In Proceedings of the 8th international conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC-2012), Istanbul, Turkey, May 2012.
Prerequisites and Preparation
- Programming in Java
- Kick-off presentation
- Documented source code / unit tests
- Project description
- Final presentation
Three introductory sessions will be held Thursdays from 8:30 to 11:30 in S2|02 D017: 24.10., 31.10., and 7.11.
Weekly status meetings are planned for Thursdays between 10:00 to 11:30. Actual times may vary depending on the number of participants. During the status meetings, a student assistant will provide help and assistance regarding any questions about the software frameworks DKPro Core and UBY.
Dr. Judith Eckle-Kohler