Student Assistant with Biomedical Expertise
The Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing (UKP) Lab at the Department of Computer Science, Technische Universität (TU) Darmstadt, Germany, is looking for two
Biomedical Student Assistants
for an initial two months (40 hours per month; 12.26 EUR per hour; hours are negotiable) with the option for extension.
The student assistants will contribute to the SeDiTraH project “Fake News and Conspiracy Theories”, which aims to automatically combat COVID-19 misinformation. The COVID-19 pandemic led to a massive flood of harmful misinformation (such as “Masks do not work”), coined “infodemic” by the WHO . Many inaccurate claims are not entirely fabricated but may misrepresent scientific publications. Falsely misusing these scientific publications as evidence gives those claims unjustified credibility, making them more impactful and harmful.
To avoid the unfiltered interpretation of harmful misinformation, we aim to automatically identify fallacies that describe how false claims misrepresent scientific publications by exaggerating the findings, ignoring crucial limitations or assumptions, and more. Training computers to solve this problem requires high-quality training data with annotations of scientific publications, describing the fallacious reasoning behind a false claim.
The student assistants task includes to
- prefilter claims that misrepresent scientific publications based on existing fact-checking articles
- extract the fallacies the fact-checkers identified
- map the fallacies with passages within the biomedical scientific publications.
- be familiar with reading and understanding scientific publications of the biomedical domain (required)
- be enrolled in a biology (or similar) Master's program (preferred), or completed at least three semesters of studies in a biology (or similar) Bachelor's program (minimum qualification)
- be interested in fighting harmful misinformation
- ideally have participated in previous annotations (nice to have but not required)
To apply please send an E-Mail with the latest transcript of records and a short CV to Max Glockner. Please also reach out if you have any questions regarding this position.