Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the UKP Lab, TU Darmstadt
We have several openings in Computational Linguistics/Natural Language Processing at the UKP Lab led by Iryna Gurevych, Technical University of Darmstadt. The initial contract will be for 2-3 years depending on the project with a possibility for an extension.
Ideal candidates have a PhD in computational linguistics, computer science or a related discipline and are fluent in English.
- Developing your own research program based on the projects of the UKP Lab, including publications in top CL/NLP venues. Current open projects include:
- NLP for mental health (in collaboration with international partners)
- Privacy in the medical domain for mental health (in collaboration with the University Clinic in Frankfurt)
- ML-based analysis of multimodal memes, propaganda, etc. (in collaboration with international partners)
- Code transformers (in collaboration with machine learning and software engineering faculty)
- Conversational AI for the scientific domain (in collaboration with IBM Research)
- Multimodal fact-checking (as part of the research center for cyversecurity and privacy ATHENE)
- Modelling cross-document relations (ERC Advanced Grant recently awarded to Iryna Gurevych)
- It is possible to propose additional topics bottom-up.
- Due to recent large-scale grants of Iryna Gurevych including an ERC Advanced Grant, we are in the process of consolidating the profile of the UKP Lab as one of the most prominent CL/NLP groups in Europe. This is an opportunity for you to be part of the team that shapes the future of CL/NLP in Darmstadt, including research, teaching and profile of the UKP Lab.
- Academic service, e.g., co-advising Master and PhD students, co-teaching NLP courses.
UKP lab is part of ELLIS (ELLIS NLP and the ELLIS unit in Darmstadt, the Konrad Zuse School of Excellence in Learning and Intelligent Systems (ELIZA), and the , a new center in which the faculty from the main Hessian universities collaborate on advancing machine learning, including NLP. ELLIS, ELIZA and Hessian.AI provide a rich environment for networking with other researchers in NLP and AI and for collaboration with other groups. Hessian.AI
UKP Lab is internationally recognized for its research on NLP including language representation learning, argument mining, question answering and conversational AI. We are a team of about 40 full-time researchers from a multitude of different nations. Iryna Gurevych is co-director of the ELLIS NLP program. She has an excellent network of international collaborators. The majority of PhD students have an international co-supervisor.
UKP Lab is committed to cutting-edge research, publishing in top-tier venues, cooperative work style and close interaction of all team members. The selected candidates enjoy diverse opportunities for professional growth, leading both to successful faculty careers and exciting industrial research opportunities.
The position assumes that you can move to Darmstadt or a nearby German location. Darmstadt is very close to the Frankfurt airport and provides an excellent living environment for incoming staff members.